Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Crew's Birth Story

      On June 28, 2013 we were planning on going to Olde Glory Days with my sister and her boyfriend for a fun night out of the house. I was ready to get out and walk around, and eat all the yummy fair food! Daniel had been hard at work in the fields and he really needed a night off, as well. I started getting ready and kept felt like I needed to be sitting on the toilet! Little did I know, but my water had broke at about 5. I was 37 weeks, 2 days. I didn't really know what was happening, but at about 6 I called Daniel and told him I was pretty sure my water had broke. I called the doctor & they said I had to come in and get checked out. I told him not to hurry & that I was going to take a shower and get ready. By about 6:30 I was soaking pads and we were on our way to Bolivar...I knew we were coming home with a baby!
     We got there and the nurse checked me (which was probably the most painful part of the whole thing!) & told me I was at a 3 & that I was definitely in labor. I was having contractions, but I couldn't feel them. They got me all hooked up and she said to let me know if the contractions started to hurt. She did inform me that since it was about 9:00pm the anesthesiologist was going to have to be called in so I needed to give him about an hour to get there. I was feeling pretty good still.

  The nurse came back an hour later and checked me & told me I was now dilated to a 4. The contractions were starting to feel like bad cramps, but nothing that was killing me. But, we called the anesthesiologist anyway! Give me the drugs! He came soon after & was a really funny guy! The epidural was wonderful & I would recommend it over and over again! All I could feel was a tiny sting when he put the numbing needle in & then I couldn't feel anything. I was amazed though that I could still feel my feet the whole time. The epidural made the whole process so enjoyable. The nurse checked me again and said I was a 6 an that she would be back at 1:30 am to check again. She said to get some sleep (YEAH RIGHT!). Mom & Shelby slept on the couch and Daniel tried to sleep with me.
 
   She came back in at 1:30 & I was dilated to a 10! She said it was time! I still couldn't feel the contractions so they had to watch the monitor & tell me when to push! I just kept telling the nurse, "I can't believe I can't feel it!" It really was wonderful! So, we started pushing! At first it was difficult because I couldn't feel a darn thing, so I couldn't tell if I was pushing 'right'. But, the nurse (Angel) was so great & kept assuring me I was doing it right. Daniel was a great 'coach' and helped me the whole time. We still hadn't seen the doctor this whole time, and they kept saying they would call him when I was close. So, we started pushing!


 
I pushed for about an hour & a half. By the end, I could tell when I needed to push and when not to. At 4:30 am our precious baby boy was born. Crew Russell Gurley came into the world with a sweet little cry & it was one of the best moments of our life. He weighed 5 lbs 13 oz and was 21 inches long. He had big hands and big feet was the first thing Daniel told me. :)  The nurse delivered Crew because the doctor still wasn't there. He showed up about 5 minutes after Crew was born. Thank goodness for great nurses!



    We took about an hour to love on our new baby by ourselves for feeding and skin on skin before we let everyone come in and meet him. We loved on him & enjoyed our time as a new family of 3! We had lots of visitors. Crew's grandparents were very eager to get to see & hold him.

   We had lots of visitors at the hospital. All of our sisters came to visit, Shelby (& Jordan) & Halie and Rosanna & Nicolette. My friend Melissa came and my aunt & cousin, Nancy & Emily & Jett came. My cousins Dusty, Julie & Rafe came by too. Daniels grandma also came. A lot of people then came to meet him at our house after we were home, as well. :)

We had the best nurses during our stay. They were so wonderful and took such great care of us. Angel was our night nurse and Livie was our day nurse. We sure did love them & Crew did, too! We let Crew stay in the nursery the first night & then we kept him the second night. The nurses took his picture, gave him bathes, shots, etc. They truly were wonderful & we loved Bolivar and CMH. We will definitely be going back if we ever have baby #2! Here is Crew with his favorite nurses!
 
 
     On our last night, the hospital gives you a steak dinner with cheesecake! It was yummy! Then, it was time to take our little man home! We had such a wonderful birth experience. I still can't believe how wonderful it was. We were so blessed to have such great nurses who made the experience even better! If I didn't have to be pregnant for 9 months, I would have LOTS of babies! (& if they slept during the night ;) 


 
We are so glad Crew is finally here & we are so in love !

No comments:

Post a Comment