Monday, April 15, 2013

4th Appointment- Glucose Test


On April 4 I went in for my regular appointment. I knew I would have to take my glucose test this time & they told me I had to stay an hour after I drank the drink to draw my blood and test for Gestational Diabetes. I went in really nervous about how 'nasty' the drink was going to be because that is all I had heard. As soon as I walked in they gave me the orange drink, which was cold, and told me I had to drink it in 5 minutes. I drank it really easy and then had to wait an hour for them to draw my blood. During that time I had my weight taken and met with my doctor. I weighed 124 which I cheered about again! Up 10 pounds! Then, I met with my doctor & she checked me over and listened to Baby G's heartbeat. His heartbeat sounded great. After I had been there an hour they drew my blood and sent me home. They called the next day to tell me I FAILED my test and needed to come back the next week & do the 3 hour test.


I went back on April 11th for the 3 hour test. I had to fast from midnight on the night before & I couldn't even drink water. This time, they drew my blood as soon as I got to the doctor at 8:30 am. Then, she gave me the option of which flavor of drink I wanted. I could choose from lemon lime, orange or fruit punch. I chose fruit punch and it wasn't too bad! But, this time it had DOUBLE the sugar that the first test did. I had to drink it in 5 minutes while the lady sat and watched me...wierd! Then I had to wait an hour for my next blood draw. During that hour I thought I was going to puke...but the lady kept telling me that if I threw up I had to re-do the test. Needless to say, I kept it down and never puked! Yay, me! The next blood draw wasn't bad. I'm pretty good at giving blood. But, my right arm looked awful after that draw, so I had her do the last 2 draws in my left arm. So, 4 blood draws total in 4 hours. Not my ideal morning, but anything for baby!

I took my iPad and finished my nook book Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks. It was such a good book & I tried not to cry in the office while reading it! Definitly a must read before the movie comes out on DVD!

The doctor called on Friday morning and told me that I PASSED this test & that I did not have Gestational Diabetes. Thank goodness! I had been worried sick for a week before the appointment that I was going to have it. I feel awful for the women who have to go through it. Doesn't seem like any fun. With the next kid, I will fast before my one hour test so that I don't have to do the 3 hour one again. Not fun!

Weight: 124 (gained 10 pounds so far!)
Heartbeat: Strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment